[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Wed Apr 20 23:09:30 EDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 10:34 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 04:20:49PM +0100, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems this conversation has gone a long way from wiki gardening :)
> >
> > My feeling is that the wiki does not serve _New_to_Sugar_ users
> > well.
>
> +1
>
> > Moreover as there is a lack of reliable first steps information, new
> > content cannot be written referring back to such.
> >
> > In general, I believe we need more content with screen shots aimed at
> > _New_to_Sugar_ users, but they would be better delivered via slide show
> > than scrolling pages.
> >
> > New to Jekyll, I did not work out how to do a slide show in Jekyll and
> > Markdown. Can anyone point to a site that does this successfully?
> >
> > So I just ploughed on and generated content using Remark[1].
> >
> > An alternative Sphinx-based, slide show effort is used in SoaS
> > Loader[2], but the product became over-weight in detail. [...]
>
> Programmers among us have let you down there; you've had to devote
> many slides to a very complex install process.
>
> 	http://soas-loader.readthedocs.org
>
> Now, install for Fedora 23 SoaS is just type "sudo liveinst" in
> Terminal activity.

I believe 8 GB sticks made by this method are more stable than
compressed ones.

> Future, Sugar could have a My Settings control panel which starts
> "sudo liveinst" on demand.

What would be the protection against wiping the host hard drive? :)

It was this concern that has stopped me writing up the liveinst method.

Liveinst to a Windows XP PC from the junk yard, is a simple way of
introducing Sugar to home or classroom.

I am indulging in this conversation a little, thinking / dreaming of a
non-technical "How to get Sugar 2016" ... :)

Iain