[IAEP] 3 questions about Sugar Desktop Copyleft

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 20 12:48:04 EDT 2016

On 20.04.2016, at 18:24, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

>> I understand that in 2016, Scratch has faded away, and Pharo has taken over active development. I saw they rewrote all the Apache parts.
>
> Pharo has forked, yes, but Squeak is very much alive. Pharo is just better at marketing.
>
> Where can I learn more about the nature of the fork? :)

Squeak is the leading open-source Smalltalk dialect, dedicated to be a personal computing environment for children of all ages, going back all the way to Alan's Dynabook idea. Etoys and Scratch were developed in that tradition.

Pharo sees itself as “Smalltalk-inspired” and is focused on business applications (see http://pharo.org/about <http://pharo.org/about>).

For more details you should join e.g. the Squeak developers list, this here is not the right place.

- Bert -