[IAEP] 3 questions about Sugar Desktop Copyleft

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 20 12:15:40 EDT 2016

> On 20.04.2016, at 18:06, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
> Hmm. I thought Scratch became libre when Apple released its parts under Apache, which predated Sugar?

You’re confusing Scratch with Squeak. Scratch came with its own license that was not GPL compatible. They’ve since changed that:
http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_1.4_Source_Code <http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_1.4_Source_Code>

> I understand that in 2016, Scratch has faded away, and Pharo has taken over active development. I saw they rewrote all the Apache parts.

Pharo has forked, yes, but Squeak is very much alive. Pharo is just better at marketing.

- Bert -