[IAEP] 3 questions about Sugar Desktop Copyleft

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 20 10:49:25 EDT 2016

Quoting Dave Crossland (2016-04-20 15:47:33)
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/FAQ#What_are_the_principles_that_guide_Sugar_Labs.3F
> says
>
> What are the principles that guide Sugar Labs?
>
> Sugar Labs subscribes to principle that learning thrives within a
> culture of freedom of expression, hence it has a natural affinity with
> the free software movement (Please see Principles page in this wiki
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs#Principles for more details).
> The core Sugar platform has been developed under a GNU General Public
> License (GPL); individual activities may be under different licenses.
>

> That last sentence seems really weird to me, because as I understand
> the GPL, and I Am Not A Lawyer, then if Sugar is GPL, all Activities
> must be under GPL compatible libre software licenses.

There is _granted_ license of sourcecode, and there is _effective_
license of combined work.

An activity with GPL-compatible liberal license (e.g. Expat a.k.a. MIT)
is at runtime effectively GPL if linking with the GPL code.

Note that e.g. communicating via DBus likely is not judged "linking".

Liberal license is effective when code is a) reused in source form (e.g.
forked for a BSD-based project), and b) if being granted an alternative
license for the otherwise copyleft-licensed code.

 - Jonas