[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Samson's proposal to SLOBs

samson goddy samsongoddy at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 04:39:20 EDT 2016

> From: cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 02:24:21 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Samson's proposal to SLOBs
> To: dave at lab6.com
> CC: samsongoddy at hotmail.com; sora at unleashkids.org; sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org; samsongoddy at gmail.com; slobs at lists.sugarlabs.org; laura at somosazucar.org; cbigenho at hotmail.com; nicestep at gmail.com; tch at sugarlabs.org; iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org; tim at timmoody.com
>
> To many cc:s is getting this moderated.  Trying again.
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I worked with Samson to refine a narrower proposal that has been
> > presented to the SLOB by email.  It is for the SLOB or Samson to
> > decide how / when to share it with the wider community.  It is for the
> > SLOB to determine the how / when of discussing the proposal.  I am
> > confident that all details will be public before any decision is
> > taken, I would characterize them as generally similar to previously
> > funded translation work, specific terms of which have been shared
> > previously.
> >
> > cjl
> >
> > cjl
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Its been 2 weeks since this thread was last updated; has anything else
> >> happened to move the proposal forward? Am I right that this will be decided
> >> on at the next SLOB meeting?
> >>
> >> Samson, some more questions below:

> >> Which provider/offer is this? :)

> >> I understand - India is pretty similar to that :)
> >>
> >> Is the breakdown of the $6k something like this?
> >>
> >> $1,500 translation
> >> $  900 portable net @ $300/month x 3 months
> >> $3,600 laptops
> >>
> >> If there are other items, it seems the laptop is surely a larger item in the
> >> breakdown. So I wonder about the possibility of leasing/renting laptops. Eg
> >> I found http://xtramindsconcept.com.ng/laptops who advertise they leased a
> >> classroom of laptops to Google Nigeria. While that is in Lagos, I expect if
> >> you can visit a dozen computer repair shops, you could probably charm one of
> >> them to rent you some old stock for a good price.
> >>
> >> And there's also the 2nd hand market. Looking on olx.com I found a couple of
> >> nearly-new laptops for around USD$400 in Port Harcourt:
> >>
> >> https://www.olx.com.ng/ad/1-month-used-hp-pavilion-dv7-corei7-with-radeon-graphics-beat-audio-ID15HCC1.html
> >>
> >> https://www.olx.com.ng/ad/7months-old-hp-pavillion-for-sale-ID15I6yI.html
> >> (although you might also need that charm, "Carefully and softly used by a
> >> girl and so I wish a girl will also buy it" it says ;)
(That market "OLX" is not advisable, it a fraud place. They usually ask for 40% before they give you any goods. I was a victim before(9,000 Nigeria naira)  $45. There places where i can get used laptops.)

> >> I also find the $300/month mobile data cost high. How many Gb of data will
> >> you need?
> >>
> >> It seems that, new, its N15,000 ($USD75) for a hotspot wifi -
> >> http://www.gloworld.com/ng/personal/devices/portable-wifi-routers/ - and
> >> N5,000 (USD$25) for 5Gb of data -
> >> http://www.gloworld.com/ng/personal/data/data-plans/ - which can be doubled
> >> by working on a "campus" -
> >> http://www.gloworld.com/ng/personal/data/glo-campus-data-booster/ - and such
(As you can see it a campus data, i can't go to any university to browse.)
Glo is not a good choice for internet service in Nigeria. But "Etisalat" is. I intend to use smile https://smile.com.ng/product/unlimited-smifi/ because it faster and it has coverage more than the glo service. Glo only workshop effective in Lagos and not all places in Port Harcourt.

> >> hotspots can also be bought for around 1/3 of that price on olx.com
Fraud site!!!

> >> Finally, how many translators would be involved for the $1,500, which is
> >> spent over 12 weeks? :)
3 including me

> >> That's great! :)

That is my plan