[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Tue Apr 19 11:20:49 EDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 23:48 -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Hi Martin!
>
> On 12 April 2016 at 17:02, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> wrote:
>

>         On 12 Apr 2016, at 14:45, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com>
>         wrote:
>

>         >
>         > On 12 April 2016 at 15:38, Martin Dengler
>         > <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
>         >         The point is that because it's a waste of work and
>         >         nobody wants to do it,
>         >
>         > Give me the keys and I'll do it.
>

>         You don't need keys. You need a wiki replacement. You need to
>         do the work to create a replacement for wiki.sl.o. Then the
>         DNS can be changed.  It's super-easy to say "let's do it" and
>         super-hard to actually do it. Put your wiki where your mouth
>         is :).
>

> https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs is the replacement.

Hi all,

It seems this conversation has gone a long way from wiki gardening :)

My feeling is that the wiki does not serve _New_to_Sugar_ users well.

Moreover as there is a lack of reliable first steps information, new
content cannot be written referring back to such.

In general, I believe we need more content with screen shots aimed at
_New_to_Sugar_ users, but they would be better delivered via slide show
than scrolling pages.

New to Jekyll, I did not work out how to do a slide show in Jekyll and
Markdown. Can anyone point to a site that does this successfully?

So I just ploughed on and generated content using Remark[1].

An alternative Sphinx-based, slide show effort is used in SoaS
Loader[2], but the product became over-weight in detail.

I am submitting, again, my concept of a gallery[3] by way of
conversation.

Apropos wiki gardening, are there any views on what else is wrong with
the wiki?

One serious problem is that using "Search" button indicates material
which may be obsolete but unmarked as such.

Regards,

Iain

[1] http://remarkjs.com
[2] http://soas-loader.readthedocs.org