[IAEP] Seeking insights into Oversight_Board/Decisions

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Apr 11 14:46:21 EDT 2016

On 11 April 2016 at 14:32, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> You are thorough enough to consider the fiduciary/stewardship secretary
> role outlined below, and/or coaching/mentoring someone younger to assist
> you -- would you consider giving back in this way?

Sort of: I don't want to take on any responsibility, but you can trust me
to make unsolicited recommendations to everyone ;)

> (SFConservancy.org has not yet replied to us explaining how a/our
> nonprofit's bylaws should be published, but certainly
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Governance and
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Decisions will need to hang
> together to build institutional memory without an excess of contradictions,
> and we could certainly use your outsider comparative perspective here if
> so!)

mediawiki has a 'lock' feature to allow certain pages to only be edited by
certain users. We should use it for such 'serious' pages.

Generally I think all mediawiki instances should be retired and replaced
with a static site generator backed by a distributed version control "pull
request" model of collaboration.

http://designwithfontforge.com has semi-prominent "edit this page" (that
could be even more prominent) and Github itself and 3rd party web editors
like http://prose.io provide the "wiki" experience of editing pages
directly, but with the PR permissions model that - IMHO - cultivates more
quality.