[IAEP] [support-gang] [UKids] XO Veterans/Remembrance Day..is our Legacy on FIRE?

Anish Mangal anishmg at umich.edu
Wed Nov 11 21:36:30 EST 2015

It is interesting to follow this discussion. I think it was in .uy where
they said that while the laptops cost $200, TCO was ~$600, i.e. a bulk of
the money was spent on infrastructure, teacher training, community, repairs
etc. - so if you plan to do this *properly* then the upfront cost of the
tablet is not *that* big of a factor, considering other expenses involved.
However, it is very enticing to someone just starting out with new
deployment to think in terms of upfront hardware costs - hence this thread.

I am personally against promoting tablets for education, but that matters
little when a school administrator or teacher asks for them - you just make
your case but do as they say :-)

Lastly, I see huge value in used laptops. A thinkpad (T400) machine with
250GB HDD, 2GB RAM, a dual core processor and a 14 inch screen is available
for <$130. I recently set up a small number of them running Linux Mint
(because it is very cough-window-cough like) and a full offline mirror of
ubuntu and mint repositories - which provides some ~80,000 software
packages. These laptops are also easily repairable, and hence help promote
repair culture.

Cheers,
Anish