[IAEP] Will anything change this time?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Tue Mar 10 13:31:41 EDT 2015

Actually, the governance model says nothing about election at the end of
every year, nor about shortages of candidates. It does say
<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Governance#Oversight_Board>:

Sugar Labs shall be governed by an Oversight Board, consisting of seven
(7) members elected by the Sugar community—the Sugar Membership. The
positions on the Oversight Board will be on a two-year staggered basis.
The members of the Oversight Board may be removed from the position at
any time by a majority vote of the Community Members. Upon the
resignation or removal of a member of the Oversight Board, the Community
Members shall elect a replacement Community Member to serve on the
Oversight Board.

In my humble opinion, the decision about when to do elections should not
reside with the board, but with the elections committee.
Aparently lfaraone is MIA.

At any rate this course of events should've been discussed/announced to
the Sugar Labs members.

It could've been expected, that the board members with expired period
would simply no longer be board members and that the 2 candidates would
be promoted to board members (as pretty much happened last year, except
no shortage).

I have volunteered to be member of elections committee since Oct 2014.
I cannot do this work without being appointed the role by the board, as
per the governance model.

I did not become a candidate because I was expecting do the gruntwork to
run the election.

I will abide by what the majority of Sugar Labs members wish and the
accepted oversight board.
If we are to run elections any time we need to also follow
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members :

    Currency assurance policy[edit
    <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Sugar_Labs/Members&action=edit&section=3>]

In order to ensure that the Sugar Labs Membership list is reflective of
the current status of the project and its participants, once a year
members will be asked to confirm that they still wish to be a Sugar Labs
Member. If this request bounces, or if a request has not been replied to
after it has been a) resent, b) checked for a more current email
address, and c) six months have passed, the member will be sent a
removal notice with an invitation to reapply.

I am in technical capacity and have the good will to begin working with
these objectives as soon as I get the board's appointment.

I would like to hear more opinion from the community about the election
process.

Regards,
Sebastian

El 10/03/15 a las 11:47, Samuel Greenfeld escibió: