[IAEP] Future Direction

Sora Edwards-Thro sora at unleashkids.org
Thu Mar 5 21:18:43 EST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> But there are good materials for learning Etoys, especially in Spanish,
> and especially for teachers.

What Spanish materials exist?

> The last part I don't agree with because it contains a misconception about
> how to teach Etoys, and especially programming, to children and adults.

Thanks for reminding me that alternatives exist. That's what I was trying
to get at with the vague "different models would work differently" but
going into specific details, based on experience, is much more helpful and
promising.

> It is not used nearly enough (many pro teachers feel a loss of authority,
> and that is more important to them that in how well the children are
> learning).

Yes, we are talking about how to teach children but the real problem is
teaching adults to give up control and certainty.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> I am not sure about how this could be accomplished where after-school
> programs are not feasible. At some of the schools I support, the teachers
> and students live too far from the school to stay after the normal day is
> over

Thanks for reminding us about the other kinds of obstacles to implementing
these programs.