[IAEP] Future Direction

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Mar 3 22:58:48 EST 2015

Hi, Gonzalo

My sense is that a lot of the work in the past seven years has been in
keeping Sugar up to date with
the upstream system - getting Sugar as a desktop in Fedora was a major
effort. As you point out, this effort
was essential. Moving to first-class support for html5/css/javascript is
an important step.

Adding the Gnome Desktop has been very helpful in selling educators that
the XO is an effective lead-in to their Windows Office oriented secondary
school curriculum. There have been many valuable additions to the
library of Sugar Activities.

I just think we should ask more often - what will this change do to
improve the educational outcomes of primary school children? If we mount
a major effort to rewrite Sugar in Python 3 - what is the delivered
benefit to the user? If we rewrite Turtle Blocks in
html5/css3/javascript, how have we improved its capabilities in the
classroom? If we abandon etoys to maintain compatibility with Fedora,
what has the end-user gained? Would a GSOC effort be better devoted to
moving from Scratch 1 to Scratch 2 than rewriting imageviewer?

Tony