[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] XO Infinity ?

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 05:58:45 EST 2015

Interesting article!

> That's why, he says, One Education designed a device that won't lock
children or schools into an operating system – it works with Android,
Windows and Linux – and why it concentrates on primary schools, with an
emphasis on equality.

This quote seems to reflect their lack of communications strategy.  Does
this mean we get sugar?  What is this "windows" thing all about?

> This week, the Australian 15-employee One Education will announce its new
generation low-cost computer. A Lego-like modular PC-and-tablet in one that
can be assembled by a four-year-old, updated as components reach their end
of life, and repaired in the classroom.to last their primary years

OMG, they have 15 people!!!  Last time I looked on their people page, they
had 1 coder/engineer/support and 1 graphical designer + management.  Plus
the people page only lists 10 people.

>  On Friday the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
released a new report showing eight in 10 Australian parents think digital
skills and computer programming should be taught in primary and secondary
schools. Six in 10 parents believe it's important children learn to design,
build or program apps.

Ironically Android is a much more closed OS.  It lacks tools like pippy and
turtle.  Sugar is MUCH MUCH more aimed towards programming that the
arguably consumer OS android.

> "[We want] to teach kids they don't just have to be consumers. That they
can actually pull things together… and give them the opportunity to update
the parts."

If changing a battery made everyone a programmer, why is programming a
qualification?

> But the Australian charity did things a little differently. Where OLPC
began to encounter adoption barriers , OLPC Australia began innovating.

> Its offshoot, One Education <https://www.one-education.org/>, created
charging stations and repair kits, teacher incentive programs, and training
for student IT champions to fix other kids' PCs.

LOL, charging stations are much innovative.  I'm not sure if this is the
quality of Aussie journalism or quality of OLPC AU.

Also, I am very sad that the Sugar community has no mention throughout the
article.  Obviously Sugar played no part in the way the users used OLPC
AU's laptops.  I'm sure the experience would have been the same with no OS
installed.  Is that true?

Thanks,
Sam