[IAEP] Planning for the future

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:57:57 EST 2015

Hi Samuel,

thanks for this

I believe Sugar has had a clear pedagogical vision from day one, but has
not had a strategy for some time.

Outside the XO, Sugar's historical technical architecture has unfortunately
kept it out of reach from all but the most determined and tech-savvy
teachers (and journalists). Without a pancake button download and one-click
installer, the installation barrier is too high. OLPC's historical focus on
the hardware was never helpful either, and the main reason OLPC got mauled
by incorrect memes was they didn't want to accompany journalists past the
unfamiliarity barrier of the XO (hardware+software).

In my view there are only a few ways to overcome this issue:

* Develop 1-click installers for Windows / MacOS / GNU/Linux. I had
suggested maintaining a matrix of preconfigured (i.e. languages/keyboards,
prepopulated Journal, selection of Activities) VMs over Oracle VirtualBox,
whose license allows free distribution for nonprofit and educational
purposes. Upsides were immediate fullscreen Sugar experience without
touching the configuration of the host computer. The downsides were huge VM
images and the effort required to build and maintain the matrix. At the
time I suggested we approach Oracle for corporate sponsorship, but some
community members voiced objections.

* Arrange for Sugar to be preinstalled on low-cost, reliable machines other
than XOs. This is complex and would require a sales force (or working with
a partner's) since no OEM will make that investment without a prospect of
selling many thousands of units. As an alternative I had suggested we ride
the wave of Raspberry Pi units (five million sold in three years) by
developing an SD card for it based on Sugar on a Stick, but there was no
interest in that effort. I still believe a Sugar-branded version (case +
teacher starters kit -documentation) could have an impact.

* Migrate to a web-based Sugar compatible with browsers on any platform.
Lionel's Sugarizer is I think a fabulous solution.

I've heard it suggested that marketing could do fund-raising, but donors
large and small won't want to contribute unless there is a plan. I've been
bewildered what the plan is for some time.

Sean