[IAEP] OSSIE News and SCaLE 13x Reminder

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:00:50 EST 2015

Hi Folks….

A couple of fun Open Source Software In Education things for you today;
Harvey Mudd College (a top-rated science and math school) is promoting computer science for middle school and young high school students. They have a unique approach... instead of teaching the young people, they are teaching their teachers! They say the course will include lesson plans for the teachers to use in passing their new CS skills on to their students. This is a great idea! Most teachers are too busy to take on a new subject to teach, but this smooths the path a bit for them. Looks like a winner!
https://www.edx.org/course/middle-years-computer-science-harveymuddx-cs001x#.VLXiLBb7cXc

Do-it-yourself computers are back! Do you remember when students made their own computers? I do! Here's a new idea that may become available. It is a laptop made of parts that fit together like legos. Color choices are an option. It runs Sugar, the same open source software used on OLPC's XO laptops (and now on Android and iOS via Sugarizer). Neat idea!
http://solenotebook.com/blog/

If you haven't already seen this, check it out! You can now get a small version of Sugar to run on other devices at:
http://sugarizer.org Also look for it in the App stores for Android and Kindle and soon in the the iTunes store for iOS.

Caryl

P.S. SCaLE is just a little over a month away… be thinking about attending and helping with our Coders' Corner booth that will also feature the latest developments in the world of OLPC and Sugar.  I will need volunteers for the booth, and it will be open 3 days this year (instead of just 2). It will be fun. Don't miss out… mark your calendars today.
P.P.S. If you are off in some exciting foreign (or not so foreign) land doing wonderful things with OLPC and/or Sugar projects or other OSSIE projects, be sure to send me photos and reports of what you are doing. I'll put them into a silent slide-show with captions to run in the booth at SCaLE.