[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Planning for the future (Samuel Greenfeld)

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Fri Feb 27 12:09:30 EST 2015

Thanks Sora for sharing. We are working in a questionnaire to get more
information
from the local deployments. If you agree, we can send it to you
to get more information from Haiti deployments.

Gonzalo

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Sora Edwards-Thro <sora at unleashkids.org>
wrote:

> I just got started with all of this in 2013, so my relationship with the
> project is very different from many others on this list. I'm also not a
> programmer. So this is just my perspective as a coordinator with schools
> using XOs in Haiti.
>
> I'm going to tackle the below item-by-item; looking forward to seeing what
> others have to say. Thanks for bringing these questions to us all.
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org>
>  wrote:
>
>> I am not necessarily discounting XOs; but several community members have
>> said in the past they were not upgrading to the latest Sugar/OLPC OS
>> versions.  This is because newer versions tend to need more resources and
>> run slowly on older XO models.
>>

>  Here's a table Martin Dluhos generated of the start-up times on XO-1s for
> different OS versions. It influenced our decision-making in Haiti (we have a
> customized version of 12.1.0) <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HaitiOS>; I
> don't know what they decided in Nepal, where he was based.
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As_jQJX0Me6XdDI2clFpX1FFRHhKMHVFZGkyakdST2c&usp=sharing
>
> Here was my input on that decision: "My gut is "keep moving forward" and
> go with the latest thing because it's the latest, but I'm not the one who
> has to fix things when they go wrong...I just report them. Basically, I'm
> hoping those who have been involved much longer can help gauge what we're
> gaining and giving upin terms of not only speed loading activities but
> the support we'll require (12.1.0 more reliable, so less help needed?) and
> receive (13.2.0 more shiny, so more help offered?) to keep things running."
>
> Others should speak for themselves, but I think we stuck with 12.1.0
> because the deadline to get things figured out was coming up and we wanted
> something that had been battle-tested for the upcoming large and ambitious
> deployment.
>

> XOs may always be part of the community; but they are not necessarily
>> going to be the centerpiece going forward.
>>

>  Volunteers have collected and refurbished significant numbers of XO-1s
> that are still awaiting deployment. It would be a shame to have those go to
> waste when they can do good somewhere. Same goes for perhaps 1000 XOs
> sitting in closets in Haiti - we've identified multiple schools (see here
> <https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/kenscoff-special-report/>
> and here <http://www.unleashkids.org/2014/07/11/special-report-thomazeau/>)
> that have abandoned these programs for lack of training and electrical
> solutions; a little funding and volunteer-work has been able to get those up
> and running again
> <http://www.unleashkids.org/2014/07/26/lascahobas-we-do-it-all/>.
>
> For my own project this summer: if we didn't have XOs, this project
> wouldn't be happening, because we'd be spending all our budget on tablets /
> [...]

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning