[IAEP] Note-taking

Sora Edwards-Thro sora at unleashkids.org
Sat Feb 21 17:45:23 EST 2015

Thanks for the additional input, everyone. James, Gonzalo, Tony, some

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> The catch is it only works with plain text files.

Yes, my original thought was we could convert PDF to plain-text files and
just use the Write activity to do highlights and such. But, some of the
content we're working with is not OER (that's what happens when you need
high-quality books in a specific language), and I'm not sure if they'll be
okay with us manipulating the files like that. We've got to choose how many
battles to fight with them. Thanks for passing this tool on - looks like
it's better suited than the Write activity for reading.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am available to work (on contract) in these features if you are
>> interested.

Thank you for the offer, Gonzalo. Fortunately, we do have some money raised
to pay programmers. Right now I'm just trying to identify which tasks to
ask people to tackle. Bear in mind that this is my first experience with
software development; thanks for being patient,everyone, as we try to
figure out what is and isn't doable, and what is and isn't worth doing.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
 wrote:

> Also on the list is a 'comments' capability so that learners can make
> comments and give rankings for the books they read from the school server
> library and which would be linked to the book entry on the school server.

Do you currently have a system in place for organizing books on the
schoolserver? I know on the Haiti IIAB release we have a searchable copy of
Project Gutenberg; I don't know how easy it is to add entries to that. In
the past, we just added books by creating another link that goes to a page
with a list of the PDF files available. But since we're looking at adding
at least 300 more books, plus whatever the texts the students are able to
write, so searching  by title would be nice / necessary. We're also looking
for sorting by level and topic. Finally, the ability to comment and give
rankings is essential if you want students to start reading socially. If
you've made / plan to make any headway on the above, I'd love to hear more
about it. Thanks.