[IAEP] Note-taking

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Sat Feb 21 15:51:26 EST 2015

Read activity can't add these types of comments, just can add notebooks for
pages, and that comments cam have text associated.
Read activity can display PDF, ePUb and text files. In the text files can
highlight text.
Would be possible modify Read to add the highlight to ePub files,
for PDF would be a little more difficult. (evince, the piece of software we
use to display PDF
is adding that feature right now, but we use a older version of the library)
I am available to work (on contract) in these features if you are
interested.

Gonzalo

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Sora Edwards-Thro <sora at unleashkids.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For our upcoming literacy project in Haiti, we'd like users to have the
> ability to take notes on books while they're reading them - basic things
> like highlighting, drawing arrows and such, or leaving text comments. It
> would be nice if they could then save those notes.
>
> I'm guessing many of the books we are using will be available as ePub or
> PDF. I know the XO activity Read supports those formats, but I don't think
> it has all the features listed above.
>
> So, should we be looking to modify the Read activity or modify the texts
> themselves, in order to enable those features for readers?
>
> Thanks for the advice, everyone!
>
> Sora

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning