[IAEP] Note-taking

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Feb 20 19:52:36 EST 2015

Hi, Sora

I have been using zim desktop wiki. I think it would fit this
application very well. It installs and runs on
all versions of XO.

Download zim-0.62.tar.gz from the Zim Desktop WIki site.

I have attached the sugar activity that I am using to launch zim from
the Sugar side. It is installed
as a native application on the gnome side.

The Sugar activity includes some capabilities needed with the school
server. Ideally, it for your case, it would just launch the zim program.
As it works now, you launch the activity and then click on the zim
button in the toolbar.

Zim saves the notes in /home/olpc/Notebook/Notes. The notes are saved
automatically.

Unfortunately, sharing the notes involves more use of the file system
than Sugar makes visible.

The upload button on the toolbar works with a modified Browse to upload
notes to the schoolserver. This really won't be much use to you (it
still needs work in my context).

One approach would be use the save a copy in the file menu to save a
note to /home/olpc/Documents. The Journal activity then has the
capability to copy the note to the Journal itself or to a usb key. The
note is saved as a plain/text file. Another option is to export the note
as html, again to /home/olpc/Documents. This html file could be copied
to the Journal or to a usb drive.

The poor man's approach I am using now is to use the print to browser
option in the file menu. This shows the note in html in the Browse
activity. This can be copied to the clipboard and saved to the Write
activity.

I hope to implement a more seamless approach by using Zim's plugin
facility, but at the moment it is on the list - to do someday.

Also on the list is a 'comments' capability so that learners can make
comments and give rankings for the books they read from the school
server library and which would be linked to the book entry on the school
server.

Tony