[IAEP] [UKids] "Top 50 Educational Apps Are Mostly All Stuck In The Stone Age"

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 15:40:56 EST 2015

I wouldn't say that my opinion is well informed or anything, but I see
tablets being something you use to passively consume content created by
others. You need a real computer to do serious learning.

In the last two weeks I had to figure out how to convert an application
running on WebSphere to make it run on JBoss. The application used
transactions, MQ series, web services, JEE security, etc. so I had to learn
a great deal about how JBoss worked, as well as more than a little about
how WebSphere does things. The learning process involved much googling,
trial and error, plus swearing. At the end of it I had really learned
something. I don't think I could have learned nearly as much just passively
reading manuals, even assuming adequate manuals for either product existed.
(They do not. Software manuals for JBoss assume that the reader knows a
great deal. There always seems to be one vital piece of information
missing. Don't get me started on WebSphere manuals).

Rather than get kids tablets I'd have them use the cheapest ad-supported
Kindle (much better battery life than a tablet, lots of free books, no
games) plus an older desktop computer running one of the smaller Linux
distributions. I'd teach them Python and some shell scripting, use of Open
Office and The GIMP, plus Sugar.

James Simmons