[IAEP] "Top 50 Educational Apps Are Mostly All Stuck In The Stone Age"

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Dec 12 14:57:19 EST 2015

Not unlike stone tablets, used in classrooms since 1900BC, and similar
slates used in classrooms until about 1930- anyway that's the comparison
made here by* Jordan Shapiro* who reviews educational apps professionally:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2015/12/12/the-top-50-educational-apps-are-mostly-all-stuck-in-the-stone-age/

  "Ancient students and teachers of
  Mesopotamia used clay tablets for the
  same reason (and in the same way)
  that we still use dry-erase boards: clay
  allowed pupils to write, wipe away
  mistakes, and then iterate. The digital
  tablet now works in very much the
  same way. It’s beholden to same
  essential metaphors. Tablet computing
  with apps always maintains that same
  spirit of impermanence and
  ephemerality. Nothing is stored locally,
  everything hovers in the cloud..."

Perhaps more optimistically around our much-loved literacy apps:

  "The Joan Ganz Cooney Center
  report, *Getting a Read on the App*
*  Stores: A Market Scan and Analysis of*
*  Children’s Literacy Apps, *is full of tons
  more interesting discoveries, plus a few
  recommendations for app developers
  and the industry as a whole"

http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/publication/getting-a-read-on-the-app-stores-a-market-scan-and-analysis-of-childrens-literacy-apps/