[IAEP] [REVISION] Revised version of OLPC OS for tablets

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 03:55:42 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Ryan Cunningham <rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sending to you a link to a revised version (created
> from scratch) of my tablet port of the OLPC OS.
>
> The major changes are as follows:
>
> * The Marvell Libertas firmware and "olpc-update" are now
>   properly removed using "yum."
> * The operating system is now delivered as an XZ-
>   compressed tape archive, allowing original equipment
>   manufacturers to make devices with any amount of storage
>   (provided it's no smaller than 5 GB), and therefore to
>   further modify the operating system with a lot more new
>   activities.
> * This version of the operating system is now based on
>   the latest version (13.2.1) of OLPC OS.

How are you archiving that tar format? You realise that the Fedora OS
relies on xattr bits that are lost if it's not backed up and restored
properly. We ran in to massive problems with this for Fedora ARM
images. IMO you'd be better off using the base template we use for
creating SoaS (a kick start) and generating a .img that can be imaged
directly to any device by an OEM to ensure you end up with something
that is supportable and not a mess.

Peter