[IAEP] What Would I Need To Learn???

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Mon Oct 14 13:35:55 EDT 2013

Hi Folks...
I am wondering what I would need to learn to be able to program apps for Android? Specifically, to help port Sugar Apps there. I have an excellent programming background in several "old" languages (Fortran, BASIC, and Pascal) and have played around a bit with Python (used it for a Physics MOOC I took this summer) and HTML (know some of the basic syntax and vocabulary).
It seems that the fundamental concepts of programming transcend language and if one can learn the new vocabulary and syntax rules you should be good to go. Is this a correct assumption? If so, what is the minimum I would need to learn to get started? Can you suggest some resources for this?
Thanks!Caryl