[IAEP] XS Community Edition 0.3 (Release Candidate 1)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed May 15 23:48:37 EDT 2013

A big thank you to anyone who can test RC1, almost three months after
XSCE 0.2 -- we now have big changes for all to try out with the
imminent XSCE 0.3:

   * XSCE runs on XOs' brand new OLPC OS 13.1.0,
     thanks to XSCE's fast migration from Fedora 17 to 18 these past weeks
   * XSCE now runs on XO-4 and XO-1.5, in addition to the its XO-1.75
     origins--with x86 & x64 testing just now beginning in earnest.
     Highly experimental XO-1 functionality now proven, tho NOT advised!
   * Auto-recognition and mounting of USB hard drives
   * Modular Architecture: cleanly integrate extendable services,
     perhaps soon including http://internet-in-a-box.org
     successfully tested this wkd: http://schoolserver.org/0.3/IIAB
   * Full offline installs possible going forward:
     set up your own USB memory stick installer.
     Compare To: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder
   * Moodle is Back!
   * Content filtering via openDNS.com and dansguardian.org

So grab an old XO-1.5 or similar and give XSCE 0.3 RC1 give these
earnest/sleep-deprived volunteers' offering a whirl:

   http://schoolserver.org/0.3

Many people would LOVE to hear your feedback testing the above before
final release just a couple weeks away!  Til then, these little guys
rock (TM, iLoveMyXO.com !)  Monster thanks to the folks whose
months of springtime work went into this imminent accomplishment--
traveling days from quite different parts of North America to make
this community product real.

With photos for those who missed Toronto's hard-driving volunteer
sprint in person: http://haitiDreams.org and http://planet.laptop.org
Finally, read more about this humble little community all contributors
are welcome to join at:

  http://schoolserver.org

Lastly. for the real art contest?  We could really use a logo/design
if any artistically-inclined volunteer can contribute visual
inspiration(s) -- embracing the Open Education Movement we hope
will be unleashed by "offline cloud" schoolserver-like technologies!

--
Helps kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net