[IAEP] Sugata Mitra at TED 2013

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:23:37 EDT 2013

I watched this on my TV last night. Smart TVs and devices like the Sony Net
Player have a channel that lets you watch any TED talk, and that's how I
watched it.  One thing I remember is that Mitra did think a teacher was
necessary to pose problems to the students.  He suggested asking a student
how to tell if an asteroid was going to hit the Earth and suggesting that
knowing the tangent of an angle might be part of the solution.

I have a niece (in the sense that I am a friend of her father) who went to
the Illinois Math And Science Academy.  Her father kept complaining that
"the teachers don't teach!", and I think their methods are a bit like Mitra
is suggesting.

I have to agree with Mitra that current education is preparing kids for a
world that doesn't exist anymore.

I also thought the conclusion of his speech was just about perfect.

James Simmons