[IAEP] Sugata Mitra at TED 2013

Dominik Granada dgranada at frks.pl
Sun Mar 10 03:24:08 EDT 2013

Arthur Benjamin says: teach statistics before calculus (check on TED) - cant paste link now

Free and democratic schools experience indicates that strong testing and guidance understood traditionally are at least .... obsolete.

and btw children in free schools learn calculus when they see the need for it

cheers DG

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> napisał:

>On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I was teaching I had a saying usually attributed to Confucius
>> (carefully hand drawn in calligraphy… no computers available to print
>it
>> then) and hung above the chalkboard (old technology). It was my motto
>for
>> teaching:
>>

>> "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
>>

>> It may have been first said 2500 years ago, but I believe it is still
>valid
>> today. That is why I do what I do!
>
>Invoking proverbs is fun as you can always find the one that argues
>for the other way.
>
>The above one probably was a somewhat liberal translation of what
>Xunzi (荀子) wrote.  But one other thing Confucius said was:
>"學而不思則罔、思而不學則殆", for which I found an English translation: "If you
>learn without thinking, you cannot understand truly. If you think
>without learning, you will be self-righteous."  (I might translate the
>last word to "dangerous", as it is closer to the original meaning.)
>
>Alan Kay often says: Children won't discover calculus on their own.
>
>Doing is important, but in the learning process good checking system
>and guidance is essential.  The above quote should be taken as "in
>addition to hearing and seeing, you should do things".
>
>--
>-- Yoshiki

Wysłane z telefonu.