[IAEP] Library in a box

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Mar 7 12:36:30 EST 2013

Hi,

OLE Nepal has deployed such a library since 2008. See www.pustakalaya.org.

The library is based on Fedora Commons and Fez.

I have rehosted most of the English language collection on Django (as is
Pathagar). This works with the WebKit version of the Browse Activity.
A selected item is 'checked-out', meaning it is downloaded to the
Journal and can be read by the Read activity (pdfs) or played by the
Jukebox activity (audio, video). In addition, the library includes Sugar
activities which can also be 'checked out', meaning Browse downloads and
installs the activity.

The library needs major work to enable users not connected to the
internet to be able to add to the collection. I am particularly
interested in a means for users to add comments and rank items (as
Amazon, for example). Another major need is a better system for users to
find something interesting (e.g. like ICDL).

I am not sure about the 'small' box. A successful library with
multimedia content will require many GB of storage. George Hunt has
installed XS-0.7 on a Raspberry Pi with an external 500GB hard drive so
this does appear feasible but I would like to get some experience with
this configuration in production before recommending it for deployment.

Tony