[IAEP] Ideas for Teaching Python

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Mon Jan 14 22:09:57 EST 2013

Hi Steve, Gerald, and all…

I was enrolled in the MOOC Python course that ran simultaneously with the Stanford Venture Lab course Steve and I were both taking. After the first couple of weeks I found that trying to do both at once was too much, so I set aside Python for another time. However, I did do enough of it to realize they had some excellent resources that you might find useful with your students.

One of these is Code Academy (http://www.codecademy.com). The lessons there are progressively more challenging and have the learner work on some of the things you have already mentioned. There are occasional bugs in the system, but most of the time it works quite well.

The textbook they were using was "How To Think Like A Computer Scientist" and the price is right… it's free (http://www.openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/)

They also used a set of recorded lectures from a class as previously taught at MIT but, for your students, I don't think they would be as useful. Additional homework assignments to go with the lectures (and lecture notes) were also provided/used.

The biggest weakness I found in the course was the lack of human interaction. It was run by a machine and every week you would get a message sent by "The Machine" which told you was to be done in the next week. If you asked a question, there were a few humans tending the class, but it might take several weeks to get any kind of reply. Several of us from support gang, iaep, and olpc-SoCal were interested in being together in a study group, and asked to do that. But, instead, they put people into groups by time zone. By the time they got back to us telling it was ok and how to do it, I had stopped working on the class and I think the others had as well. (Did anyone on this list actually finish the course?)

If it were me, and I sort of wish it were, I would use the Code Academy along with selected parts of the text, giving simple assignments on the basics of a concept, then giving them some challenge assignments. This could be a lot of fun!
If you are using Sugar, you might also make use of the examples in Pippy to start and challenge them to modify them in clever ways.

Caryl (retired… former AP Computer Science teacher (when it was still all in Pascal!))