[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] About to teach Python programming

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Jan 14 18:52:02 EST 2013

James,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> In my book I develop an e-book reader, starting with a standalone program
> and then converting it to a simple Activity, followed by adding toolbars,
> etc.  The examples are simple but not trivial.  I'm not a big fan of "Hello
> World".  I prefer a simple program that actually does something useful.  I
> don't have to understand absolutely every line of code to learn from an
> example.

Agreed (on the part about a simple program that actually does something
useful, and hopefully interesting to them).  I was thinking more a template
(as opposed to classic "Hello World) where there were some useful objects
setup that they could use/modify, which is what I thought Tony was talking
about.

I am starting to go through your book. I'll ask questions on the list as I
go.