[IAEP] Suggestions needed for Learning(Teaching) reading

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 28 13:03:53 EST 2013

On Wed, February 27, 2013 8:09 pm, Steve Thomas wrote:
> I will be heading to Haiti next month and the teachers are requesting
> feedback and ideas on teaching English at the school I will be visiting.
>
> I am looking for good resources on methods of teaching/lessons, software
> suggestions and non computer games and methods of learning.

One of the best methods for teaching foreign languages is the
microwave technique created by Earl Stevick of the US Foreign Service
Institute, one of the top language schools in the world. It consists
of short, carefully sequenced lessons that introduce single points of
grammar, which are then reinforced in dialogs where students are
encouraged to explore the possible range of variation in using the
expressions they have just learned. Microwave was adopted by the Peace
Corps for all of its language materials and courses in something like
80 languages. I was taught a little bit of the technique as an English
teacher with the Peace Corps in South Korea in the 1960s.

There is A Microwave Course in English as a Second Language (For
Spanish Speakers) available for free download from the US government
Educational Resources Information Center Web site.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED035876&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED035876

A teacher's manual exists, but I have not seen it offered for download.

Obviously, this is not quite what the Haitian teachers want. It would
require significant work to adapt it to the requirements of speakers
of standard French or of Kreyòl Ayisyen, and to make it usable at
other than the adult level.

I can assist. I have been working on the similar Microwave Course in
Spanish (for English speakers), and trying to get a Creative Commons
license to permit wider use, adaptation, and republishing. We do not
know who owns the copyright at present, since the original publisher,
Lingoco, has gone out of business. I could do with some assistance in
such issues of licensing.

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin