[IAEP] [Testing] Sugar on Android (was Questions for SCaLE 11X)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 19:44:19 EST 2013

Hi Guys and Gals,
Thanks for all of the good ideas and information to help us do a good job representing OLPC and Sugar Labs at SCaLE 11X. In addition to some local folks who are involved with olpc-SoCal, we will have George Hunt, Tony Anderson, Aaron Borden, Manu Gupta, Ed Bigenho, and myself. The weather this SCaLE weekend, unlike the past couple of years, is going to be beautiful! Maybe we will even have a chance to take an XO-1.75 up to the roof and demo it running without the battery, entirely on solar power!
There is one thing I couldn't resist commenting on in this thread. Speaking as an educator, I suggest we not sell the RPi short! With the new emphasis (and rightly so) on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), and given the right curriculum, I can see the RPis as a wonderful tool that teachers and districts are probably going to embrace. Consider the low cost, the ability to use old cast-off keyboards, monitors, and even TVs, the flexibility, the thrill of the student who puts it all together and makes it work to do a task of his choosing... it is hard to beat.
I can see a scenario where districts would buy RPi kits for upper grade students to build, and have them build extra ones for the younger ones to run Sugar (or Nell?) on. But still, the Android is also attractive... the devices, although not as STEM oriented, are ubiquitous. What an opportunity to get millions more students using Sugar!
Caryl