[IAEP] Wiki editing

DancesWithCars danceswithcars at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:08:16 EST 2013

So GothWriter, in a newly created account,
because DWC, in his advanced and sleep deprived years,
can't remember his passwords states

"Wikis S***"

and other contraversial (0) statements like

"MIT should RSS everything they publish, read, or give their paid students
access to, free to anyone who signs up, anywhere in the world, regardless
of CorporateAffiliation, or NonAffiliation, much less religion, national
origin or disability"

later claiming

"OpenCourseWare, VOIP, and all the latest greatest stuff (1) is great, If
And Only If, you have high bandwidth, which poor people tend not to have,
especially in rural 3rd world countries, not to mention certain deserts
(read food) in the USA"

(1) ref George Carlin's Stuff videos, but anyone under 30 thinking Second
Life? <smile>

would want full protection of free speech, and advanced wiki page creation
much less editing rights, notably on politician's Wikipedia pages?

N.B.: PBWiki is not MediaWiki, nor is it OddMuse, nor any of the other
Flavours (tm, registered to Symbolics, iirc)

(0) Spelling, somewhat intentional, as Google, may or may not define it,
hopefully the user has the right to define words, and create vocab, but
should be required to define it too <cough>...

Happy Ground Hog Day <sigh>

---
odd nonstandard keyboard so who knows what I intended to type...
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Ron Feigenblatt <docdtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me close by assuring you that my previous inquiry was not
> rhetorical: Frederick, is it possible to give an individual user the
> exclusive power to write a particular wiki page within the MediaWiki
> system we use here at Sugar Labs? Thanks.

Standard edit control categories in MediaWiki instances are
semi-protected and fully protected.

Semi-protection prevents a page from being edited by anonymous and
newly registered users. Fully protected pages can only be edited by
administrators,

cjl
IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org