[IAEP] OMG! I Bricked It!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 22:33:16 EST 2013

Hi…
I was going to reflash and update an XO that is supposed to be checked out to someone in the Dallas area. The software was pretty old so I wanted to get it up-to-date before sending it out.
I prepared a usb drive, checked it on my original G1G1 XO-1, inserted it into the other computer and… it told me to power off with the power button.
Then I noticed… three dots! Oh, oh… it is an XO-1.5. I had tried to reflash with XO-1 build. When I did that, it tried to read it and gave me the message to power off.
I went back and downloaded the 13.2.0 for an XO-1.5, put it in and tried to start the reflash process. Nothing! Power light goes on but it doesn't try to proceed beyond that.
It had started up with an older build before this … maybe I should have left well-enough alone. Anyway, now the power light goes on but it doesn't try to boot at all… with or without the usb reflash drive.
I went to the troubleshooting guide and did the "resetting the embedded controller" procedure (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Full_Reset) No problems there.
Then I tried to turn it on. The instructions say to watch for the microphone led… I don't know where it is, but no small lights flashed. However, after a couple of tries I noticed a very brief flash of the screen… so quick and incomplete that I probably missed it several times before noticing it.
There is no boot sound. I think the real time clock battery is OK as the times were fine when I turned it on a couple of weeks ago.
Any ideas about what I should try next???
Caryl
P.S. Please forward to anyone you think may know how to fix this.