[IAEP] Astrology at Spirituality for Kids (was Re: Sugar Digest 2013-08-22)

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 25 17:36:45 EDT 2013

A simple site search in Google turns this and other items up.

http://www.spiritualityforkids.com/parenting-and-astrology
08 07 2012, Written by Michal Berg

I’ve often mentioned the importance of connecting with our kids, which
means really getting to know who they are.  So how do we find that
out?  There are many ways; and one of the best spiritual tools for
this job is astrology.  Conventional astrology has much to offer, but
it becomes even more helpful with the addition of a kabbalistic
perspective.

http://www.myeverlastinglight.com/michael-berg-spiritual-development-books/

http://www.michaelberg.net/
The Kabbalah Center

and on the home page, http://www.spiritualityforkids.com/

It’s that time again, the bittersweet transition from a long summer
vacation to starting another school year.  It’s no coincidence that
this time falls in the month of Virgo...

This comes from an essay by _Michal_ Berg, President and CEO of
Spirituality for Kids

 http://www.spiritualityforkids.com/back-school

Michael Berg is a frequent writer on the site. I do not know whether
they have a family connection, but it seems likely.

Madonna got in trouble trying to found a charity in Africa in
partnership with Michael Berg.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/04/madonnas-dumps-kabbalah-involvement-charity-raising-malawi-guy-oseary/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Malawi

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/04/03/madonna-s-malawi-disaster.html

On Fri, August 23, 2013 5:50 pm, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Finally, the whole Spirituality For Kids thing.  I suppose people have
>> different ideas on what Spirituality is.  The website promotes
>> astrology, which I find kind of dubious.
>
> Maybe I haven't looked carefully enough, but I didn't see anything
> about astrology. Thought it was pretty much a humanist approach.

Definitely Kabbalah and astrology. They mostly try to hide it, but
then here and there they flaunt it. The Kabbalistic doctrine of Divine
Light within each person permeates some of the lessons.

I don't think we should have anything to do with this site. All else
being equal, I would be perfectly happy giving the Kabbalistic
tradition of both Orthodox Judaism and Hasidism equal status with
traditional Judaism and Christianity, say by expanding the Sword Bible
reader to include scriptures of other traditions. We _need_ a Qur'an,
a Bhagavad Gita, Confucius, Buddhist sutras, and other materials so
that students can know where others in their world are coming from.

However, the Orthodox teaching about Kabbalah is that one may not
study it before the age of 50. Doing so without a sufficient grounding
is held to be dangerous, and in fact we see all kinds of superstition
and supposed black magic founded on all sorts of misunderstandings of
what it was originally for. We looked into it a bit in my seminary
training, but I would never hand it to children.

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin