[IAEP] Sugar success

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Sep 24 10:44:57 EDT 2012

Hi, Yama

My measure is whether the laptops are in the box or in the hands of the
children. I am working with a school in Rwanda where the laptops are
normally in a charging rack (same as in a box).

Sadly, the laptops are more often in the charging racks.

One problem is that the school administration believes that the laptops
are to enable the students to learn "ICT", what used to be called,
'computer literacy'. Each class (4th, 5th and 6th) has one period
(45min) of ICT per week.

OLPC Rwanda, for reasons not of their own making, uses the laptops for
'events', such as a 'Etoys' camp. Most schools in Rwanda are able to get
the laptops out to demonstrate for visitors.

It is depressing.

However, I try to remember that use of computers to support instruction
is really new. While computers have been in primary schools since the
Apple II, educators choose to view the computer as the object of
instruction not the means.

Yours,

Tony