[IAEP] [support-gang] What Sensors and Where To Buy?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Sep 21 23:22:56 EDT 2012

Kevin wrote

> What your explanation makes clear is why people typically pay 3rd parties to develop educational material with pre-tested sample circuits and included parts. The average teacher will not have the expertise to just find a sensor, make a circuit, connect it, use software like measure and explain what the output means.
>
> I assume if a packet was constructed for the basic concepts for Ohms law and the basic understanding of how the sensor fits-into this Electronics equation, then they could present a lesson with a packaged electronics kit with audio-plug w/sensor bits.

Kevin
You make a very good point, a kit of sensors and associated lesson plans would be great. One like the Arduino Starter Kit would be good, it has a patch board, leads and sensors suitable for the XO mic socket, it has a few output devices we don't need
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/starter-kit-for-arduino-flex

The concern I have is cost. The XO is $188 and most of the target market is very price sensitive. My guess is that it would accept a cost of $10 for a Starter Kit, just my guess.

The Arduino Starter Kit would be at least $23.50 if you removed the Arduino and USB cable and added a 3.5mm phono plug with flying leads, probably more, my guess $30 -$35 considering that the per component price goes up for smaller kits.

Here is how I calculate $23.50

http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/starter-kit-for-arduino-flex $59.95
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/USB-Cable-A-to-B-6-Foot less $3.95
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/arduino-uno-r3	less $32.50
total starterkit less arduinouno and usb cable                       $23.50

Maybe the next step is to talk to a kit manufacturer like Sparkfun

Tony