[IAEP] [support-gang] What Sensors and Where To Buy?

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 23:53:43 EDT 2012

the problem with the "let them learn by making mistakes" is that they
may not know *WHAT* mistake they made, and how to fix it.
Random chance events need eons, billions of years, to get to an advanced
civilization. Good design needs only a few millenia!

The standard response to no-idea-what-went-wrong is to give up on this
and take on another different pursuit - If it were not that way, we'd
have more kid programmers than the handful we do, after about 2 million
attempts times several years.

Another example: by the merest chance, I had switched the MSP430 chips
in the Launchpad experimentation board, before I tested it with the XO.
This was serendipitous: last year, the Fedora version did not allow the
most updated MSP430 software, so it would not have worked with the newer
chip, the one that comes preinstalled in the Launchpad. Because I had
switched them, I had the older chip on, that fateful day, and /things
worked!!/

Otherwise, I'd have given up on the MSP430 and moved on.

Why is that important? the MSP430 Launchpad is $4.30 US dollars,
shipping included to anywhere in the world.

It is a full fledged microcontroller experimentation board, it is
shipped ready to use (includes a USB cable and an extra MCU). It works
out of the box with an XO - you need to install two small software
packages in the XO, but that's not so hard (and it is easier now that
they fixed the Fedora repository link). With the new version we have,
/all/ MSP430G work now.
For those interested in building a robot "brain" (and many other such
mechatronic projects), we have now an affordable solution, at a fraction
of the cost of Arduino & Co.

basic install instructions (I wrote this one - need to update it!):
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OLPC_XO-1
Buy the MSP430 Launchpad
https://estore.ti.com/Product3.aspx?ProductId=2031
experimentation code examples