[IAEP] Update... Faulty Screen Replaced! Thanks to Scott Dowdle

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:32:54 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,
Ed and I met SG member, Scott Dowdle of Montana State University and the Bozeman Linux Users group, for a pizza lunch today to chat about the CP project at Arrowhead School in Pray, MT. I brought the XO-1 with the black circle on the screen to show him. Surprise! He had brought a replacement screen from one of the XOs in the Bozeman LUG's CP lending library!

Before I had even ordered my lunch he had the XO apart and was removing the screen! He had watched the disassembly video on the OLPC wiki to find out how to do it.  In a few more minutes the installation was complete and the XO was a good as new! Scott's friends were as amazed as we were and enjoyed looking at the screen and parts.

We had a great discussion about updates, the possibility of an upgrade kit, Sugar, and open source in general. Open Source is alive and well in Montana! Thanks again Scott for helping make sure the students at Arrowhead School have 10 working XOs to use in their science and music classes.

A young couple will be sharing the machines with their classes… she teaches music plus a K/1 combo, he teaches middle school science and math. It's their first year of teaching, but both are very enthusiastic and very computer savvy. It should be a fun year for them and their students.

Caryl
P.S. 2 images of the faulty screen are attached, in case you missed the first ones. Still no idea how it happened. Scott thought maybe someone accidentally closed the XO on a disk-like object and the pressure may have caused it. It is a bit smaller than a dime, and appears to be a perfect circle.