[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 19 12:42:37 EDT 2012

2012/9/19 James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com>:
> Walter,
>
> First, congrats on the grandchild.
>
> Second, I am intrigued by the statement that 10% of Sugar Activities were
> written by children who grew up with Sugar.  That is an incredible
> accomplishment, and it makes me wish that the ASLO website had a Collection
> of those Activities.  If something like that existed I could see what kinds
> of Activities they were doing, how many were programs written for other
> environments using a Sugar wrapper, how many are purely Sugar Activities,
> who the developers are, what Sugar features are they using and not using,
> how popular the Activities are, etc.

Hello James,
I feel identified with what Walter described so I dare to answer. I'm
from Uruguay and I'm thirteen years old. I'm one of the activity
developers in transition to Sugar contributor. I don't know other
young Sugar contributors outside Uruguay, so I'll tell you about the
situation here.

About one year ago, children made activities often as a hobbie, that
activities had not a reasonable aim and they weren't very well
integrated with Sugar.

Some examples:
Agubrowser by Agustin Zubiaga:
This activity was based on webkit when Browse used python-hulahop (gecko).
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4419
Sugar File Manager by Ignacio Rodríguez and me:
Based on Sugar Commander and JAMexplorer, with some improvements.
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4494

Actually, we make activities thinking in its utility, but our aim is
still learn with what we do.
I leave here some of the activities that make us feel proud:

TerronesWeeper: A "mines" game for CeibalJAM!, the Uruguayan OLPC
community, which is represented with a Terrón[1].
http://activities.sugarlabs.org//en-US/sugar/addon/4520

Chart: Made with help of adults and now available at the official OLPC build.
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4534

Graph Plotter: Mathematical function plotter.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Graph_Plotter

JAMath: Other game for CeibalJAM. I'm not sure, but I think this
activity is only available in Spanish.
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4595

Sorry if I forget other activities.

Cheers,