[IAEP] evolution or revolution? .....android+sugar+doors => oui?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:42:55 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 2012-09-13, at 06:01, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
>
>> I would like to see Sugar Activities able to run in Gnome and vice versa. As far as I know, TurtleArt is the only one that does both.
>
> Etoys and Scratch, too (which preceded Sugar, but not everyone might know this).

Some of us know :)

But many others as well. I try to maintain GNOME versions of most of
the activities I write, for example. It is pretty straightforward,
just a little work. And there are many Sugar activities that already
have GNOME equivalents, e.g., Write/Abiword. Since you can easily move
Journal objects back and forth between the Sugar Journal and the Linux
file system, that is no longer a bottleneck. And, at least with Turtle
Art (Etoys too?) the Sugar collaboration model works across desktops.
But all of this should be enabled at a deeper level within the Sugar
toolkit to facilitate activity developers.

As far as Android compatibility, I still have a long learning curve re
Android in order to make an assessment.

I am curious as to the specific features of Android that David finds compelling.

regards.

-walter

> - Bert -

Walter Bender