[IAEP] evolution or revolution? .....android+sugar+doors => oui?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Thu Sep 13 00:01:56 EDT 2012

Hi David

You have written a wide ranging piece which is difficult for me to respond to comprehensively, please permit me to respond to just a few points.

1) Working against school systems
Though Sugar/OLPC are unashamedly constructivist/constructionist, I don't think it is accurate to characterise them as "revolution (by working against them [school systems])", although comments like that may have been made at times by some.

Constructiv(n)ist learning takes place within schools and continues outside of school. Many teachers and schools recognise its importance. Wanting schools to change their emphasis from instruction to more construction is evolutionary. Supporting the learning that takes place outside of school is not working against schools, its complimentary.

2) How to prevent/stem infection ... manage money
This is the kind of stuff that the most constructionist Activities, Etoys, Scratch, TurtleArt, really excell at. Have a look at some of their simulations. I am not sure what you are criticising here in OLPC/Sugar, but if its constructionism, I think the criticism is not well founded

3) Proposed OUI
I gather that you are not a supporter of the Home view and the tagged Journal. I have some reservations myself. It is limited in things like multiple file operations and mangling of file name extensions. The inclusion of Gnome in OLPC images is a good thing and neutralises my concerns about Sugar. Kids can migrate to Gnome once they become more sophisticated users, somewhere around the upper primary lower secondary years.

I would like to see Sugar Activities able to run in Gnome and vice versa. As far as I know, TurtleArt is the only one that does both. There are excellent Sugar Activities that should not be restricted to just the Sugar desktop.

When it comes to desktop metaphors, I don't much care. Kids are much less concerned with metaphors than we are, they will take an operating system as is. My problem with your OUI is that I can't see what problem it is solving. It may be better than the current Sugar desktop but I can't tell. Some screenshot mockups might help. Hosting the document as a wiki rather than a pdf would aid community input.

Thanks
Tony