[IAEP] ICT4D: planning

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 6 03:54:08 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Christophe Guéret <c.d.m.gueret at vu.nl>wrote:

> Hi Christoph,

Good morning,

> May I ask what the background of these students is expected to be?
>>
> This should be students familiar with Computer Science. It's a module that
> is open for different Masters diploma.

Okay, cool.

> Also (and somewhat related): What kind of class projects do you envision
>> the students to tackle? It would of course be excellent if their work could
>> fairly directly contribute to what's hapening in the OLPC/Sugar projects
>> around the world (plus it could also be an additional motivating factor for
>> the students).
>>
> This could very well be the development of an activity, or the translation
> of another one, or the enhancement  of some other piece of software -
> including Sugar. There could also be some more abstract projects about
> deployment plans or so. We will see what ideas the students have but indeed
> it would be interesting to aim at a close relation between what they
> investigate and what's actually needed.
> I know there are these pages with some ideas on it, which I guess I
> derived from some needs:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_activity_ideas
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_ideas
> Is there more resources we should keep an eye on?

If they're interested in tasks related to touchscreen support then
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Sugar_Shell_Touch_Input and
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Activity_Touch_Input are also good
resources.

But I'm sure others here have more suggestions where to look for such
information...

>  Last but not least: I hadn't realized that there is an ongoing OLPC
>> project in Suriname. I only remember some blog posts and e-mails from the
>> early days (maybe 2007~2008?) about some Dutch folks considering such an
>> effort. Is there further information about the project online somewhere?
>>
> We are not in touch with them but we have some established contacts with
> Surinam. We wanted to plan a deployment somewhere and we picked that
> country because of the contacts we have. But things are still in an early
> planning stage, the actual deployment will be hopefully taken care of by
> the students that will attend the course.

Okay, makes sense and sounds like another great component of that course.
Let us know how it goes! :-)

Cheers,
Christoph