[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-11-30

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:00:55 EST 2012

== Sugar Digest ==

“Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it; doubt all,
but do not doubt yourself.”
(Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent;
doutez de tout, mais ne doutez pas de vous-même.)
-André Gide

It has been a very exciting week. (You may have noticed, I don't often
use adverbs, but "very" was called for given all that has happened.)

1. Simon Schampijer announced the release of Sugar 0.98. This is a
major milestone for Sugar Labs as it is the first release that takes
touch seriously. It also incorportates many improvements to the GTK3
port. The Sugar Developer Team deserves a resounding celebatory cheer
of thanks for a their effort. Read the release notes here [1]. (Note
that OLPC has been incorporating Sugar 0.98 in their 13.1 series of
builds, available for download here [2] to run on XO hardware.)

2. Google Code-In [3] began on Monday. We have 22 mentors [4], 40
students [5], and 79 out of 132 tasks already completed [6]. (More
tasks are coming on-line soon.) The contest runs for 6 weeks, so it is
not too late to sign up as a mentor [7] and to recruit students to
participate [8]. Some highlights include new tutorials for Turtle Art,
using Sugar in a Virtual Machine, and using Sugar on a Stick; a new
feature: load a background image on the home screen; and numerous
patches in support of internationalization. Some of the usual suspects
are making their usual outstanding contributions, while some new
talent is also emerging. Thanks to everyone (mentors, students, and
Google) for participating.

3. Sugar Labs is holding its annual election to the oversight board
early next month. If you are interested in running for one of the open
board seats, open to any community member, please contact me or the
membership committee with any questions *before* 7 December.

=== Tech Talk ===

4. Aleksey Lim announced the Sugar Network 0.7 development release.
See [9] for details on how to try it.

=== Sugar Labs ===

Visit our planet [10] for more updates about Sugar and Sugar deployments.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs