[IAEP] activities (games) recommended age

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 09:11:40 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Pedro Martins <pt.pmpm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm a teacher and I am going to do master's thesis on the use of Sugar
> Activities (games).
> Can anyone tell me if there is any recommendation on the appropriate ages
> for activities (games)? Or do you consider this as an opposition to
> constructionism and the freedom of choice of the child?

Games/Apps in general or within Sugar itself? We have restrictions in
terms of the types of games we will host, e.g., no games that promote
violence, but we don't restrict access in any way to the games that we
do host.

That said, we have several mechanisms for steering a child or teacher
to content of interest, including recommend activities, collections,
reviews, categories, etc. It would be interesting to learn more about
how these are used and suggestions for improvements.

There are also, external to Sugar, guides, social networks, etc. that
play an important role.

We are encouraging a documentation format for activities that give
some guidance on how to use the activities for learning. See for
example, http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Portfolio

> Where can I get more information on this subject?
> Sorry for my english.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> --
> Pedro Martins