[IAEP] Gamification in Sugar Network

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:47:33 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure thing, we spoke about this at length and I think there were even
> screenshots made regarding gamifying sugar. I know we spoke about it with
> quite some enthusiasm during the Paris Sugar Convention, and then after that
> on the mailing lists. I think we might even have written something online
> about it. I, for one, think it would be almost an essential next step in the
> Sugar UI. But it would require getting all activity creators on board, as it
> probably can´t be done just on a centralised level.
>
> kind regards
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> It seems that the initial idea to have some gaming components in Sugar
>> Network (pretty initial like "Players" instead of "Users" or Roles, and
>> absent in current implementation) is a kind of global trend :)
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification#cite_note-60
>>
>> In any case, if Gamification is good for CRM
>> (http://zurmo.org/blog/gamification) it should be even more natural for
>> systems like Sugar Network, i.e., that are oriented to students and
>> collaborative work on content.
>>
>> --
>> Aleksey

As I recall, the design team never settled its differences in terms of
how this would work, but we could readily build the back end for
accumulating badges/milestones/... in a standard way and those
activity developers who chose to use these mechanism can do so. In the
meantime, it was proposed to have a badges activity.

(I will try to dig up the conversation threads and feature pages so we
don't have to repeat the same conversations.)

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender