[IAEP] Barbarians at the gate! (Project Nell)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Mar 13 19:07:42 EDT 2012

I read the following today:

"A healthy [project] is, confusingly, one at odds with itself. There is a
> healthy part which is attempting to normalize and to create predictability,
> and there needs to be another part that is tasked with building something
> new that is going to disrupt and eventually destroy that normality." (
> http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2012/03/13/hacking_is_important.html
> )

So, in this vein, I'd like to encourage Sugar-folk to read the short paper
Chris Ball, Michael Stone, and I just submitted (to IDC 2012) on Nell, our
design for XO-3 software for the reading project:

     http://cscott.net/Publications/OLPC/idc2012.pdf

You're expected not to like it: this is supposed to be the Barbarian
viewpoint. ;-)  Regardless, I've love to hear feedback on what exactly you
didn't like, so that I can improve the arguments for the final published
version (assuming the paper gets accepted).  Thanks!
 --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )