[IAEP] RFC:Simple Help widget for activities

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Mar 7 08:07:04 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> We receive many times request about adding help in the activities,
> and if is true Sugar propose a exploratory approach,
> not all the people learn in the same way,
> and there are people who prefer a little guidance.

Not being one to read manuals and preferring to figure things out myself, I
was shocked when kids 8-14 who in their first or second class with Etoys,
were doing things in ways I had never seen before.  Especially after I had
been using Etoys for quite a while.  When I asked how they figured it out,
they said "Oh it's in the Quick Guides"

So yes, there are many different ways of learning and +1 for Gonzalo's
suggestions.

May I suggest as a format something similar to Kathleen Harness' Quick
Guides in Etoys.  They provide a fun and interactive way for kids to learn,
that is more than simple reading, but involves doing (albiet in a simple
way, that helps ensure early success).  One of their goals, I think, is to
help make the "undiscoverable" discoverable.

Stephen