[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar is available for download in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS; 10.10 & 11.04 with sweets_distribution. Wiki Page updated

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon Mar 5 04:29:30 EST 2012

On 03/04/2012 09:21 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> Thanks.  I've simplified
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu some more,
> concentrating on how an Ubuntu user should try out Sugar.
>
> I've removed the sections that cover prior Sugar versions where Browse
> won't work, because that just isn't going to help any Ubuntu user I can
> imagine.  Sweets Distribution or the virtual appliance method is a far
> quicker solution, with the benefit that Browse will work.

Re: the prior versions: surf-115.xo does work on them as a compatible
browser and is easy to install.
We used it in the last version of Soas when Browse stopped working.

  It is available here:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Surf-115.xo

I disagree on removing the mention of the native Ubuntu sugar 0.88 that
is available from software center.
We get questions in #sugar all the time from Ubuntu users and an
explanation of the versions in their repositories is appropriate.

Sugar 0.88 with surf-115.xo is a fine distribution and works well.

0.90 was the only flawed sugar version and it is only available through
Ubuntu's software center in 11.04 Ubuntu, where the default is 0.88.
Ubuntu has cleaned up their act lately w.r.t. installing sugar from
their software center, where it is available by just searching "sugar".

I just completed testing installs of "sugar" in all 3 Ubuntu versions
from Ubuntu's software center of those last revisions and think that
they should be included and mentioned.
> I've also removed the end of support dates for Ubuntu, because it isn't
> our place as Sugar Labs to say that, they might change, and mentioning
> it implies that Sugar is supported in the same way.  Sugar is in the
> universe repository, and isn't a core part of Ubuntu.
>
> Lastly, I've hunted out every mention of "sugar-emulator -f", which
> seems to be something that you'd like fixed which still isn't fixed, and
> placed it in one page which is linked to.
If you try running on a 10" netbook, the  -f   (full screen) option is
needed to get sugar to not present a display larger than the screen.

I have been following Sugar in Ubuntu since David Farning began  USR and
trying to maintain  working web pages describing it.

I have placed a link to the discussions of the native versions of sugar
at the bottom of the page.

Tom Gilliard
satellit_