[IAEP] [FM Discuss] E-Book Enlightenment: Reading And Leading With One Laptop Per Child [Paperback] is on Amazon.com

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:57:02 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I went through the process a few years back for the OLPC (and maybe
> SugarLabs) books but just didn't have the patience for the last bit of
> details... I should pick it up again and see how far the last 10%
> really is. Thanks James for posting.

Yes. Congrats James. Meanwhile, I too have been frustrated in my
attempts to update the other Sugar manuals. For example, I made major
revisions to the Turtle Art manual but cannot manage to get my changes
to appear in the wiki, never mind go as far as the last 10%. Sigh.

-walter

> [...]
>> money.  Color pages cost four times as much as B/W pages because each page
>> has to be printed four times with different colored inks.  If you have one
>> interior page that needs color the whole book needs to be printed that way.
>>  So color pages only make sense for children's books where every page has a
>> color picture or some decoration.  There is no extra charge for a color
>> cover, though, so get a nice photo on there if you can.
>>
>> You can do B/W on cream colored pages instead of white pages.  I don't know
>> what that costs.
>>
>> When you set up the book you can get a free ISBN number, use one you already
>> have, or pay to get one using your own imprint.  What I think this means is
>> that if you think there is some kind of stigma to having your book published
>> by Create Space you can pay for an ISBN and list the publisher as a
>> different name.
>>
>> CS will calculate what your book costs to print and give you a minimum
>> price.  You can charge whatever you like above that. Your royalties will
>> depend on where you publish the book.  CS will give you a "Store" page on
>> their own site for selling the book, and you will get MUCH higher royalties
>> selling it there than you do on Amazon.  Of course actually getting people
>> to see that page is your problem.  CS will also submit your book to be
>> listed on Amazon.com in the U.S. only.  To get it listed elsewhere you can
>> pay a one time charge of $25 to get the book listed in catalogs used by
>> bookstores.  Without this listing you have no hope of selling your book on
>> other sites or bookstores.  With it you have no guarantee.  It takes awhile
>> to get listed from what I've heard.  I have not bothered to do this for my
>> books.  I might do it for *one* book as an experiment.
>>
>> James Simmons
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM, John Curwood
>> <marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> After reading your post yesterday, I just had to go onto Amazon and check
>>> it out. It was very cool when my search listed it (and the ebook) in the
>>> search results. What was the process like to the the books into print form
>>> on Create Space?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> On 04/03/12 03:29, James Simmons wrote:
>>>
>>> E-Book Enlightenment: Reading And Leading With One Laptop Per Child
>>> [Paperback] is now on Amazon.com, again only the U.S. site. Outside the U.S.
>>> you should be able to order directly from Create Space.
>>>
>>> Eventually Amazon will have Search Inside The Book working for this title
>>> and you'll be able to appreciate all the great artwork done by Oceana Rain
>>> Fields. This art did not survive translation to Kindle format. It looked
>>> terrible there, so I had to remove it. Even in B/W it really adds something
>>> to this printed edition.
>>>
>>> If the idea of having a really attractive printed book that explains
>>> everything about e-books, including how to make them, seems odd to you then

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org