[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-06-10

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:28:30 EDT 2012

oh my dear Walter...
I must apologize.
I thought my track record was clear enough, at least with you, that I
would not be understood to consider Windows "real software", unless it
were as a parody/sarcasm. My bad. I hope that the lesson is learned, and
that going forward I will tag things better.

Yet, I am mildly peeved that you would think our "disagreement" is about
the value of keyboarding or how to launch Internet Explorer. ;-)

JFTR it has to do more with the evidence that what is useful for
"learning", but not useful for "using", has very little "value".
In this context, were it that the XOs are perceived as "useful", they
would be "valuable", whether S.Papert is present or not, and whether
such usefulness is in updating Facebook.

Maybe you have lesser awareness that, for less privileged people,
"learning" seldom is seen, or valued, as something convertible into
food, shoes, or lodging, and certainly not done for fun? Which, of
course, is a shame, but that's the way it is.

I may be mistaken, but I have sort of a strong feeling that most people
will appreciate, and use, and value, and keep using, and learn despite
themselves and their own limitations, in a medium they do not label as
connected to "school". Which, even limited as they are, they regard with
some justification as a mostly content-free environment, just a series
of hoops to some privilege and an exit from manual labor.

As long as XOs are seen at the same level as last year's classroom
notebooks, they will fare as well.
Meaning, a few, very, very few, will find some actual use and benefit,
"value" in them.
Now, if they are useful for something...  Different paradigm!

(kudos for Gnome! BTW, I had been pushing for some XO-based
microcontroller work - http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OLPC_XO-1
as part of eat-my-own-catfood in enabling the XO for real-world use)
(last weekend I was at a local (Austin, Texas, USA) High School track.
Nearby were the dumpsters. End-of-the-year dumpsters. Since it probably
does not happen that way in Boston, let me indicate that here they were
overflowing with "learning" materials. Pricy stuff, not necessarily
useful, but what passes as education in these parts.)