[IAEP] [somos-azucar] sugar hack - feedback

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 18 02:35:42 EDT 2012

CCing to iaep at . This is a feedback reagarding Sugar Network[1]
Web UI look&feel. Original post[2].

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:50:09AM -0500, Laura Vargas wrote:
> De la jornada de la mañana quedaron documentadas las siguientes
> recomendaciones de Julita, Alejandro y Ketty:
>
> 01 Interfase Gris? ("en Perú primaria es Sugar y Sugar es primaria")
>      Color* sobre los recursos problema/rojo idea/amarillo
>      pregunta/azul reseña/verde?

My own perception is. It might be good for Sugar Shell (and sometimes
for Sugar Activities) to follow common design idea with having grey
"background" and objects painted to user's colors to expose the
ownership (or how the original design idea sounds). But I don't see any
reasons to extrapolate this design solution to all software that people
will use/run from Sugar Shell:

* it is impossible because not all edu software is intended to be
  launched only from Sugar Shell;
* well, maybe monotone coloring is a good (not sure here) for madhouses
  or prisons, but for my self, I'm preferring to switch my desktop
  theme/colors from time to time.

So, I'm +1 for not strictly following Sugar Shell's coloring paradigm in
Sugar Network UI. Partial implementation might be still useful though.
For example, using user's colors to expose objects ownership.

But maybe it makes sense to forget about this paradigm entirely.
It works fine/as-assumed in Sugar Shell when there is a central user -
local user and limited number of users that local one is participating
with. So, the coloring variety is pretty limited. But, in Sugar Network
case when objects are global (at least assumed to be) within the entire
Sugar community, it is becoming meaningless - there is a big chance
to see duplicates or similar looking colors.

> 02 Tool Tips para los íconos?

There a need to explain "what this button means". In regular desktop
UI it is hints. Not sure whats the common practice in Web design for
that. But for sure, +1 for somehow exposing such info.

> 03 Es posible que quede un histórico de la edición de los recursos?

Could you elaborate it in English.

> 04 Podremos Adjuntar imagenes (o cualquier tipo de archivo) a los recursos?

I think it will be a good start to attach activity objects (from
Journal). We can improve this workflow at any time later.

> 05 Cuales serán los mecanismoa de Acompañamiento y que eventos de
>      Activación?
> 06 Sería conveniente una capacitación dirigida a los DAIPS durante periodos
>      largos (tipo 1 semana) dentro del horario de trabajo

These points is also not clear after mechanical translation.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network
[2] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/somosazucar/2012-July/001314.html

--
Aleksey